Top 5 Supplements For The CrossFit Open
What supplements should you take if you are doing the CrossFit Open? If you’re reading this we are going to make a couple of assumptions.
A. You are a CrossFit athlete who is wanting to compete for a weekly podium spot during our CrossFit Open In-house Comp… or at least plan to run through the CrossFit Open workouts like greased lightning so you can see how you stack up against your peers!
B. You have a good handle on your nutrition. Your whole foods game is on point and the only missing link to you gaining that extra edge is a crafty supplement strategy.
If you fit either of those assumptions, this article will help explain the different types of Driven Nutrition products we offer and the benefit of each! Here are our top five supplements recommendations to decrease your CrossFit Open times, increase your chances at a trip to the podium and bring some more separation between you and your trash talking friends.
1. GlycoDrive: Simply speaking, glycogen is fast-burning fuel stored in your liver and muscles that's easily converted to energy. High intensity CrossFit style workouts are fueled by glycogen. Having an adequate supply in the tank is vital to performing at your peak! Have you ever felt weak or sluggish as soon as you start warming up? It's a good possibility your glycogen stores are low.
Highly Branched Cyclic Dextrin or cluster dextrin is a designer carbohydrate and the single source carbohydrate found in GlycoDrive. This high molecular weight carbohydrate passes quickly through the stomach where it can be transported throughout the body for storage as glycogen.
Our recommendation: Take 25 grams 20 min prior to your WOD with 12 ounces of water (For an added pick-me up consider adding either Pre-WOD or DYSRUPT). Immediately following your workout consume another 25-50 grams, this will make a huge difference for you leading into the next WOD.
2. Driven Whey: The key to a solid score in CrossFit Open is putting together several stellar performances. This could require more than one go at a good time for the posted workout, not to mention the WOD’s your doing on top of the open workout. Helping heal those broken down muscles between workouts is the keep to longevity & this is why you see people drinking whey protein immediately after a WOD. The fast acting proteins in Driven Whey send a rush of amino acids (the molecular building blocks of protein) into the bloodstream where they can repair and rebuild your hard working muscle tissue, speeding recovery time between workouts. With 6 great flavors like Fresh Cinnamon Roll, Caramel Latte, Banana Cream Pie, Strawberry Milkshake, Chocolate Milkshake & Vanilla Dream, your sure to find a few flavors you LOVE and remember, with the Bro Scoop punch card, you can try all these great flavors before committing!
Our recommendation: Take between 25-50 grams (depending on lean mass body weight) immediately after working out to take advantage of the 30 minute metabolic window. If you are not getting enough protein through whole food meals throughout the day or are forced to miss a meal, keep some on hand so you can get a quick shake.
3. Creatine: Why is this important? You know the feeling you get when sprinting and you suddenly go from flying to dying? Or when your doing a 3 rep max squat and can’t stand the third one up? THAT my friend is the rate your ATP storage and production is exceeded by your ATP usage. More creatine in your system and you might add 10 yards at a full sprint, or get that final push on your max! To add further fuel to the fire, creatine increases the size of the muscle cells allowing more nutrients to flood in and more recovery to take place!
If you are new to this planet OR have been lifting weights without enjoying the benefits of Creatine now is the time to start! Easily the most studied performance enhancing supplement over the last two decades creatine can have you moving more weight, faster from day one.
Our recommendation: Creatine is beneficial before and after workouts. 15 min before workouts take 3-5 grams followed by 3-5 grams immediately post workout. *For best results take with a fast carb like GlycoDrive for better nutrient transport.
4. Driven Aminos: If you want to decrease your workout times, decreasing your recovery time is a good place to start. Leucine, Isoleucine and Valine make up the three Branch Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs). These three nutrients are the major amino acids used during ATP production. They help to convert fuel to energy by increasing the availability and rate of carbohydrate breakdown helping optimize performance. BCAA’s can reduce muscle damage or breakdown (catabolic state) while working out. Leucine in particular has an anabolic (muscle growth) effect, signaling the body to build more skeletal muscle. They also promote immune health which can be weekend after prolonged or especially intense exercise. This could help you avoid getting a cold or worse the flu, a certain derailment for your Open score.
Our recommendation: Driven Aminos can can be enjoyed anytime, especially between meals to bridge the gap between protein intake and preserve muscle mass. For performance benefits take one serving 5 min prior to your workout and if you have time, add them in your water bottle for an intra workout boost.
5. R&R: We cannot overstate the importance of getting enough ZZZ’s at night. Not just clocking in for some downtime but ensuring that your are getting quality recovery sleep. While we can’t increase the hours you spend with the lights off, we can increase the quality and benefit you receive from it. Driven Nutrition R&R night time formula has a three step process to better recovery while you sleep.
One, natural sleep aids ensure a restful sleep where you can drift off to the deep stages of sleep where recovery can take full effect. In this deep REM sleep cognitive functioning is restored, growth hormone is secreted and protein synthesis is taking place.
Two, digestive enzymes and probiotics were added to aid the digestion and absorption of nutrients. With better nutrient partitioning your last meal or protein shake is put to better use as a muscle building and repairing agent. They promote a healthy digestive tract which is the single the most important area you can improve for better immune health.
Three, natural hormone boosting ingredients help boost your bodies normal hormone output elevating an already anabolic state of rest and recovery.
Our recommendation: Take 2-3 capsules 30 minutes before you go to bed. Allocate at least 7 hours of sleep time for best results and no drowsiness. Then wake up refreshed and ready for the next WOD!
There it is, our all-star lineup of supplements to get you through the CrossFit Open performing at your peak and finishing as strong as you started!
Good luck and let’s see those times!